Now that you have decided to use Sod Ottawato find the best pre-screened and insured sod companies in Ottawa, here are the steps to laying the sod once it’s delivered. Our companies will also install the sod for you if you like, and you can get a free quote by calling us at (613) 800-3179.
1. Fertilize the soil.
Before you begin laying the sod, apply fertilizer to the entire area after the final leveling.
2. Make sure the sod is moist.
The sod should be cool and moist to the touch, but not dripping wet. Sprinkle the sod quickly to keep it cool, but don’t soak it. Then, as soon as you’ve laid down the sod, soak it completely!
3. Choose the right place for the first row of sod.
Start laying sod along a straight edge, such as next to a walk or driveway, so that everything starts off straight.
4. Unroll the first piece of sod.
Be very careful about roughing up the planting surface or the new sod! Using a board to kneel on is a good way to avoid this. Make sure that you place the edges of the sod tightly against any hard surfaces, such as cement edgings, walks, or driveways. If this isn’t done properly, you have empty gaps where the edges of the sod can dry out.
5. Set the loose end of the second piece tightly against the end of the first piece and unroll it.
Handle the sod with care so that it doesn’t tear or fall apart as you move it.
6. Cinch the edges as close as possible without overlapping or stretching the sod. Stagger the ends as if you’re laying brick
7. Level the planting surface with a rake as you go.
Otherwise, you’ll have a bumpy lawn. Occasionally, you may need to lift a piece of sod, rake level, and then replace the sod.
8. When you come to the end of a row, roll the sod out over the edge and cut it to fit with a sharp knife.
9. After you lay out all the sod, place soil in any open seams between pieces of sod.
10. Roll the sod with a water-filled roller.
To help level the sod and ensure good contact between roots and soil, you need to roll the sod. Use a roller that’s half full of water. Roll perpendicular to the length of the sod.
11. Water the lawn thoroughly
These steps are courtesy of our friends at www.dummies.com